Worm infestations are actually very common among pets. More than 40% of pet cats suffer from worm infestations at some point in their life.
Treating these is essential to keep your pet healthy and also your home hygienic.
How To Know If My Cat Has Worms?
Cats are infected by different varieties of worms. The easiest way to detect these is by checking your cat’s litter box. Different worms are visible to the naked in a cat’s fecal matter. Roundworms, tapeworms and hookworms are the most common types that affect pet cats.
But even if worms are not visible in your cat’s fecal matter, your cat might have some worms. In order to detect these, it is important to stay alerts about your pet’s behavior.
- Diarrhea is the most common symptom of a worm infestation
- Loss of appetite is also common for cats with parasitosis
- Cats with worms might even have some blood in their stool
- Frequent vomiting is a sign of some parasites in the intestine
- Worm infestations lead to significant weight loss in cats
- Anemia or general weakness might also be noticed in an affected cat
- Cats with worms often have a distended or swollen abdomen.
How to get rid of worms in my cat?
If your cat experiences a few of the above-mentioned symptoms or you notice worms in your cat’s fecal matter (which can also be visible as small white particles) then you need to immediately put your cat through a de-worming treatment.
- Pet owners are usually prescribed some de-wormers by veterinarians. But it is very important to complete the entire dose of medication because some parasitic worms can remain embedded in the cat’s internal tissue for a long time.
- Some common de-wormers are available in pet stores. These are usually effective in dealing with common intestinal worms. But they are not fool-proof solutions and in case the symptoms persist it is essential to consult a doctor.
- Some natural organic de-worming products are also available for cats. But once again their effectiveness is not proven and it is important to consult a doctor if the problem does not get solved.
Intestinal parasites are a very common ailment in pet cats. But if left untreated they can lead to a serious deterioration of a cat’s health. Young kittens can also experience fatal intestinal parasite infestations. It is very important for pet owners to remain vigilant. If home remedies prove insufficient, then it is important to visit a pet specialist as soon as possible.
How to prevent worms in pet cats?
It is very difficult to completely protect cats from worm infestations. But pet cats that spend their time mostly indoors are at a lower risk of catching worms. Despite that, even home-bound pet cats are suggested to get regular check-ups and de-worming treatments from their veterinarians.
Keep your house clean and fresh and give your cat a healthy diet. This will prevent them from licking or eating something contaminated and protect them from parasitic worms.
How to keep myself safe from my cat’s worms?
Some of the worms that infect cats can actually also travel to humans, so it is essential to be very careful in dealing with an infected pet cat.
- Always wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water after cleaning your cat’s litter box
- Pregnant women, young children, or ailing individuals should not touch or go near a cat’s litter box
- For families with small kids, make sure to keep the child’s area away from the affected cat’s access so that it cannot contaminate the child
- Even those who do not have pet cats, but have visiting outdoor cats. It is essential to always use gloves and clean your hands when gardening. Cats can defecate in open gardens and spread worms.
Cats are lovely creatures that can bring great joy to their owners. But worms are a hygiene risk in all households with pet cats. So in order to ensure that your pet cat lives the happiest life and that you and your family stay safe from intestinal worms, make sure to de-worm your cats as soon as they show signs of infestation. A healthy cat ensures a healthy cat-owning family.
Also Read – What Is The Best Supplement To Improve Memory?