Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT (ONC) is the principal Federal entity charged with coordination of nationwide efforts to implement and use the most advanced health information technology and the electronic exchange of health information. ONC coordinates and oversees federal HIT initiatives and establishes the foundations for standards, policies, projects, rules and guidance. The ONC site provides access to global information about the various federal HIT initiatives and activities, as well as access to the rules, committee activities, and resources and tools for those working to implement HIT in their own agencies and organizations. ONC’s mission includes:
- Promoting development of a nationwide Health IT infrastructure that allows for secure electronic use and exchange of information;
- Providing leadership in the development, recognition, and implementation of standards and the certification of Health IT products;
- Health IT policy coordination;
- Strategic planning for Health IT adoption and health information exchange; and
- Establishing governance for the Nationwide Health Information Network.